Friday 1 January 2010

Wrapping up and moving forward

I didn't get any Yuletide bits of poetry out this year so, I thought I would put one on the blog. We've had a great time here in the UK but, there are definite signs that it is time for us to leave (apart from the whole military orders thing).

First, David Tennant is out as the Doctor. No one will be able to save Great Britain on Christmas as well as he did!



Second, Kelly and I were getting our costumes ready for a fancy dress party based on television or film couples. We picked Kara Thrace and Sam Anders from Battlestar Galactica.



And no one knew who we were or what BSG was... a sad day amidst the mob.

So, to bring 2009 to a close and 2010 to a start, I've picked portions of my favorite poem from my favorite poet.

Ulysses by Alfred Lord Tennyson. (paraphrased and repositioned)

"I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethrough
Gleams that untravelled world, whose margin fades
For ever and for ever when I move.
How dull it is to pause, to make an end,
To rust unburnished, not to shine in use!

'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the Western stars, until I die.

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

So, with that, we begin our last few months in Europe with an adventure, a trip to Portugal. And the gleaming fields of Spring on the horizon!

Enjoy the new year and your new adventures!

s




No comments: